Saturday, February 27, 2010

You Complete Me


I had one of those moments today, as rare and beautiful as a pink diamond from an African mine.
Sean had gone down to the city last night for a long-overdue overnight with our best man, Noel. As I dropped him off at the train station, I was feeling a little less than whole. BUT, I was going to a friend's surprise party: babysitter lined up, outfit in mind. Ahhhhh.... a night out complete with the use of big words like "bathroom". But as mommyhood would have it, 2 hours before I was to leave for my grown-up night, Chloe came down with a fever. With tears stinging my eyes, I cancelled my babysitter, changed into my fat pants, ordered pizza, gave tylenol to my sweet, needy 9-year-old and hunkered down for the night. As bedtime approached, I began mental preparations for frozen margaritas, some kind of bad-for-me food, and several episodes of Lost (we're on Season 3 for any spoilers out there). No matter my self-indulgence, I ached for big people company, especially that of my main dude. His texted pics of fancy drinks and tales of chasing buses and laughing with his friends only intensified my self-pity.
Now on to the diamond moment. Absence truly does make the heart grow fonder. Sean had a blast with Noel, stepping into a very different way of life, that of his single, successful, yuppie friend in Chicago. But, we both couldn't wait to be back in each other's arms. For all of it's faults and limitations, our safe, suburban existence really is home. When he got off the train, I experienced some of those butterflies of yore. How fun! I missed them. God knew I needed to feel like a grow-up. The baby went down and the big 3 grlz played for 2 hours without interrupting us. We lingered with one another, talking, laughing and re-connecting. Yeah, babe, you really do complete me.

No comments:

Post a Comment