Monday, March 1, 2010

I was running . . . . . . .

I still crack up at the way mildly-retarded Forrest Gump told Jenny that he had been running. Now, granted, the man was a little nutso for running non-stop for who knows how long. And perhaps we runners are mildly retarded in general. However, I love this little happy place in which I find running cathartic, therapeutic, and **GASP** fun. My running is mine all mine. No little people allowed.

I have never come up with fabulous, big-cash slogans like "Sh** happens" when I am running, but I do gain access to a special piece of myself when I am pounding the pavement. As a mom, I have discovered that although I have not lost certain parts of me as a woman, they seem to be misplaced. Creativity. Meditation. Quiet spirit. Smarts. Yeah, I used to actually be smart. Here's the cool thing, though. When I am running, my blood pumping and my lungs expanding, I am transported to the place where I feel the most myself. It's magical. Spiritual.

Forrest ran to deal with pain and loss. Whether dealing with post-partum hormonal hell or pervasive, debilitating depression, I know deep in my heart that my running has time and again saved me. Forrest stopped because he was tired. I will stop when I am dead.

2 comments:

  1. Love the blog, Christine. Glad, as always, that I went for a run today! I "used to actually be smart" back in the day as well - don't think I'd have the brains to practice law again, to tell the truth (or, maybe I have the brains not to - who knows).

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are an expressive writer not just on legal issues. I can relate and empathize with everything you said above. I just don't like to run.

    ReplyDelete