Friday, February 26, 2010

Mama's a Boob

For so many years, I consulted my boobs for indications of what was coming next. They're aching: Maybe we're finally pregnant! They're the size of my husband's HUGE head: I did, in fact, give birth and am now expected to feed a grl with my "grlz." There are ever-increasing, wet spots on my shirt: It's time to bolt for the grocery store door, get home to put in the again-forgotten breast pads, take a deep breath, and feed a grl (AGAIN!). They're so teeny that I have to shop in the training-bra section of Kohls: Motherhood has delivered another humbling blow and I need to see a surgeon for my "Mommy Makeover."

Well, I no longer take cues from my boobs, but I sure have a knack for acting like one. This morning, our oh-so-distractable 7-year-old Chelsea had fallen into hysterics when she couldn't find the new book she had in her hands approximately 36.5 seconds before said meltdown. So here's my moment: The bus is fast approaching and I have the perfect opportunity to instill a life lesson with patience, gentleness, and grace. Yeah. Instead of modeling a gentle, carefully thought-out re-tracing of her steps, I blared condescending, anxiety-ridden criticisms and commands. Shame on me. Tears increased, guilt pummeled me, and I had another mess to clean up.

Despite my boob-like actions, I managed to redeem myself a bit. Due to myriad of opportunities, I've become better and better at admitting my mistakes and asking my grlz for forgiveness. As I sent Chelsea onto the bus, her still-glistening eyes sent me the message of unconditional love and acceptance. Oh, that I can strive to impart the same to our kids.

2 comments:

  1. The little ones forgive so quickly, as if they're built for such, especially when we (I) say, "Hey, I was wrongo. Do forgive me." Methinks they forget too. Forget in a good way. Thanks for this one Mrs. Gale.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a boob at times too! You're not alone. It's what we do with it that matters. We must confess our sin consistently, as we have our children express their wrongs to us and often receive dicipline! Thank you God for working in us and talking to us!

    ReplyDelete